I had half a jar left of Dave Gourmet's Butternut Squash pasta sauce and I decided to give it a shot on a pizza. Wow! Why aren't restaurants doing this yet? The combination of onions, zucchini and the butternut sauce was delightful. I was cooking this at my friend's kitchen and the occassion was his new pizza pan and I had just gotten a hair cut. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my nifty wine bottle rolling pin so making the dough round and flat was a little more difficult. Rather than my usual pepper and garlic seasoning I decided to go with some Italian seasoning and it was perfect! Perhaps next time I'll use some oregano. Other than that, I wouldn't add anything to this pizza combination except maybe some corn kernels would taste nice on it. Also, while I decided to put chicken on this pizza it could just as easily be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken - or you could use seitan instead of chicken. Whatever you do, this pizza is sure to please! Enjoy my friends with a nice glass of Toasted Head Chardonney!
Butternut Squash Pizza with Sauteed Onions and Zucchini
(Makes 1 pie)
1 package refrigerated wholewheat pizza dough (for a thin crust pizza, you will not need the whole package)
Butternut squash pasta sauce (Dave's Gourmet - available online)
Fontina cheese (thinly sliced)
Half a white onion (thinly sliced)
1/3 cup zucchini (sliced)
1 chicken breast
Mozarella cheese (grated)
A little Italian parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roll out the pizza dough and place on a floured pan. Drizzle the dough with olive oil and poke holes in it with a fork. Pre-bake in the oven for 8-9 minutes.
2. Cut the chicken breast into small bite size pieces and cook in a skillet over medium high heat with olive oil and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
3. Sautee the onions and zucchini in a skillet over medium high heat with olive oil and Italian seasoning set aside.
4. Generously spread the butternut squash all over the pre-baked pizza crust.
5. Place the fontina cheese on the pizza, followed by the onions and zucchini, then the chicken and finally sprinkle the mozarella cheese on top.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-19 minutes. Sprinkle some Italian parsley on it. ENJOY!