"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Sunday, October 25, 2009

Craig Murphey Memorial Hummus Contest


My awesome roommate sent me a link about local food contests and one of the items was a hummus contest! This contest ended up being very humbling and while I didn't win I got to try some fantastic new flavors and meet new foodies! It was put on by the Craig Murphy Memorial Foundation, in honor of the Craig Murphy, the community organizer and activist against poverty. It was at the Hope Lounge in Brooklyn and the rules were simple, bring 3 quarts of a creative hummus with your own dipping items. The judges were friends, family and supporters who came to the event to try all the hummus tubs and judge them based on taste, texture, choice of dip item and originality. The winner was a fantastic pumpkin spice hummus made by Janelle, a lovely aspiring chef with a talent for cooking and presentation! She just started a cooking show so check her out on Facebook fan page or you can subscribe on YouTube. She had rolled individual whole wheat tortilla triangles with the spicy pumpkin hummus and a lettuce leaf. All of it was held together by a cute little fall leaf toothpick. Here is a picture she took at the contest.

Second place went to a Moroccan hummus.

Third place was given to a really tasty Thai style hummus made with coconut milk, lemon grass and some Thai spices. One of my personal favorites was a beet hummus shown below.


Fourth place (just kidding there was no fourth place but I like to think I would have won 4th) went to my Kalamata olive hummus :)  I decided to go with my Kalamata olive hummus.

For a first food contest, it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to more! Thanks so much to everyone who came and supported!

No comments: