The best excuse for mixing alcohol with chocolate.My gorgeous friend, Angelica, arranged a Mexican themed party bus to celebrate her quarter century! We all met at my house before hand for tapas and drinks. I decided to make rum balls to take on the bus. Easy to eat, and less potential for spillage than trying to take actual mixed drinks. There's something wonderfully American kitsch about rum balls. Maybe it's that they show up at graduation, 4th of July, Superbowl, Christmas and other such parties. Or it could be that their central ingredient is vanilla wafers? Regardless, I love rum balls and plan on making new variations of these for many more fun events to come.
1 12ounce package of vanilla wafers, crushed
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup rum
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/8 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Turn on some feel good, dance party music and make yourself a mixed drink.
2. In a bowl combine the crushed vanilla wafers, chopped nuts, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and cocoa.
3. Mix in the rum and corn syrup
4. Shape dough into one inch balls and roll in confectioners sugar. (I find that it is easier to chill the dough for an hour or two before shaping into balls)
5. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days to let the flavor develop (aka increasing potency)
Here's the beautiful birthday diva, Angelica in blue!