"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Monday, October 26, 2009

Szechuan Broccoli, Carrots and Tofu


My first encounter with Szechuan sauce was at my freshman dorm cafeteria. For dinner they had a stir fry station set up where you could put together your own bowl of fresh veggies and pick your sauce and the cook who fry it all up in a wok. I tried all the sauces but eventually would only request the Szechuan sauce; it carries the perfect amount of heat from chilies. This dish was a healthy accompaniment to the Kimchi pancakes I  made last week. I served this over brown rice which was a great starch to absorb the spiciness of the sauce. While you could just fry all the ingredients together, I prefer to prepare the tofu separately so that I can get it to my desired firmness and allow it more time to marinate in the Szechuan flavors.

Szechuan Broccoli, Carrots and Tofu

Ingredients:
Broccoli, cut into small florets
Carrots, sliced
Cabbage, sliced
Tofu, cut into small cubes
Szechuan sauce
Olive oil

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat, put in the tofu cubes and a bit of Szechuan sauce. Stir fry up the tofu cubes until they are firm. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a wok over medium high heat and add in the broccoli and carrots and drizzle the Szechuan sauce over the vegetables. Using a wooden spatula, stir fry the vegetable until they have softened, then add the cabbage and tofu cubes with more Szechuan sauce. Enjoy with some brown rice!



No comments: