"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spicy Tomato Soup


Tomato soup with grilled cheese is one of my favorite comfort food combinations. It reminds me of the being a kid in the summer. I had a bunch of left over tomatoes from the last batch at the farmers market and it was cold night so I wanted something warm. This soup tasted fantastic I just wish I had had some good bread to go with it and dip in it! It's healthy and I didn't add any salt so it's sodium free! Beware readers; this soup packs a lot of heat on the spiciness factor. I used one Habanero pepper but for the uninitiated, a tiny piece can cause prolonged suffering. The parmesan offsets it a bit, but simply omit the pepper if you want to have a non-spicy soup.

Spicy Tomato Soup
(Makes 2 bowls)

Ingredients:
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 white onion, chopped
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 Habanero pepper, minced
1/3 cup soy milk
3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
1. In a pot, over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil until the onion is translucent and the garlic is golden. Add in the tomatoes, pepper, milk and remaining olive oil and bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is thickened and warm to eat.

No comments: