"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Meatballs with Parlsey and Parmesan


I have never made meatballs before but I found this recipe on epicurious.com had great reviews and seemed easy enough for a beginner-meatball-maker. I adapted this recipe to cut down on the salt and increase the herbs. I made these using my friend's extra large and in-charge skillet so it only took me 3 batches to make all 44 (YES 44!) meatballs. These tasted great alone or with marinara sauce. I would definitely like to make these again and bake half and freeze the other half to have later. I also found that, when frying them, they didn't fall apart if I chilled them before cooking. After the first batch, the chilled the remainder before making. These can definitely be a satisfying appetizer but I bet they would taste lovely with pesto and spaghetti, an Italian sub, or on a pizza!

Ingredients:
4 large eggs, I used fake eggs
1/2 cup Italian herb breadcrumbs
6 tablespoons grated parmesan
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
5 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
2 lbs lean ground beef

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, breadcrumbs, parmesan, olive oil, parsley, garlic, pepper and oregano. Add in the ground beef and mix thouroughly. Form 2 inch diameter meatballs and place on a tray. Cover and chill for about 45 minutes, this will make it easier to keep the meatballs together when you fry them.

2. Pour enough olive oil in a heavy large skillet to coat the bottom; heat over medium-low heat. Working in batches add the meatballs and fry until brown and cooked through turning frequently and adding more oil as needed. Transfer to a plate and serve! Yum!

No comments: