"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Arugula Pesto on Fusilli with Ricotta and Peas


I had quite a bit of left over arugula that I had wanted to use so I decided to make a pesto sauce out of it! Arugula has a peppery taste that really came out in the pesto and tasted fantastic when offset by the ricotta on the pasta. I wish I could have made more of this pesto because I'm sure it would have been rather nice on toasted baguette with some sun dried tomatoes, or as a sauce over a fish. The pesto was very easy to make and I was able to whip up this meal very quickly on a week night. I wasn't so sure about adding the peas to this pasta dish, but their sweet bursts of flavor ended up working out quite nicely.

Arugula Pesto
(Makes enough for 4 servings of pasta)

Ingredients:
10 garlic cloves
4 cups fresh arugula
1 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup olive oil

Directions:
1. Blend the garlic gloves in a food processor until well minced. Add in all the other ingredients and pulse until you have a consistent texture and all the flavors are blended. Violia!

Fusilli with Arugula Pesto, Ricotta and Peas

Directions:
1. Cook 4 servings of whole wheat fusilli, drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a dish and add the arugula pesto, 1 cup of ricotta and 2 cups of peas. Mix thoroughly and enjoy!

No comments: