"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Friday, November 6, 2009

Butternut Squash and Chicken Quesadillas


I love quesadillas. I remember being so excited as a kid when my mom would make them.  I always had the same type of quesadilla: cheese, avocado and maybe some chicken. It's a delicious combination, but the quesadilla concept allows for a lot more fun and creativity! If you haven't already noticed, I'm pretty much obsessed with Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce and I've been using it on everything from pasta to pizza and now quessadillas! I found some delicious and healthy spelt tortillas which gave a nice wholesome flavor. While browsing the cheese aisle at the grocery store I decided to go with Fontina cheese. I also had a bit of left over Gouda which I used on one of the quesadillas and it tasted fantastic. I made these at my friend's house and he was making chicken matzo ball soup. The two foods might have a completely different history but they are a terrific dinner combination!

Butternut Squash and Chicken Quesadillas

Ingredients:
Spelt tortillas
Butternut squash pasta sauce (I'm sure a puree would also work well)
Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
Olive oil
Italian seasoning

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Sautee onions with Italian seasoning until onions are translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Adding some more olive oil to the pan, cook the chicken pieces, generously adding the Italian seasoning. When chicken is fully cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Heat a little bit of cooking spray in the pan over medium high heat and place one tortilla in it. Working quickly, spread the butternut squash sauce all over the tortilla, leaving a thin border around the edges. Add the cheese slices, followed by the onions and finally the chicken. Place another tortilla on top and press down on top with a spatula to make the ingredients stick. Carefully check the bottom tortilla and when it is golden brown, flip the quesadilla to brown the other side (about 3-4 minutes per side). Serve warm and enjoy!