"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Monday, November 2, 2009

Marinara, Goat Cheese and Chicken Calzone with Basil

So since I started making calzones a little ago, I'm sort of on a calzone kick and I've realized that  I love folding and rolling food so it's quite fun for me to make these filling pizza pockets. Unlike pizzas, where I prefer a crispier crust, I really like to have a more chewy crust for calzones. Since a calzone is basically a folded pizza, I suppose my next stop is a stromboli which is basically a rolled up pizza! The other night I made one too many calzones so I froze some and then heated it up for lunch for one minute and it tasted perfect! You can't do that with pizza, it will get soggy! Also, it's exciting to cut the calzones open because you are never quite sure how they are going to look on the inside....it's like a delicious little surprise!

Marinara, Goat Cheese and Chicken Calzone with Basil
(Makes 1 calzone)

Ingredients:
1 golf ball size lump of refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough
1/3 cup marinara sauce
1/4 cup goat cheese
1 small chicken breast
4 basil leaves
1 large slice of tomato
Olive oil, pepper, garlic powder

Directions:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place pan in the oven.
2. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, cut the chicken into bite size pieces and sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder. Saute the chicken until it is completely cooked, set aside.
3. Roll out dough for calzone. Carefully sprinkle flour on the heated pan, place calzone dough on top. Poke holes all over with a fork. Spread the marinara sauce on the dough leaving a 1 inch border all around, then sprinkle the cheese on one half of the dough. Place the chicken on top of the cheese, followed by the tomato slice and the basil. Fold over the other side of the dough and crimp the edges together to form a nice crust.
4. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the crust is golden.

No comments: