"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Thursday, January 14, 2010

Spicy Roasted Brussel Sprouts


My mom used to boil brussel sprouts and I thought they were disgusting....barely digestible, or I had to have a lot of other stuff on my fork to get one down. I learned that this cousin to the cabbage can be delicious when roasted! When roasting these sprouts it's important to not be afraid of the dark brown spots, those areas pack the most flavor! Roasted brussel sprouts and hummus is a great combination. These are super healthy too with a lot of vitamin A and C. My friend Andy who was over for dinner when I made these admitted that these were the one food he didn't like, his mother also boiled them apparently. Well, I'm happy to say we are both converted to roasted brussel sprout eating.
                           
Spicy Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:
Brussel sprouts, halved
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Chili flakes
Cayenne pepper

Directions:
1. Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Wash the brussel sprouts and drain, cut them in half and place them in a bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil, garlic powder, chili flakes and cayenne pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
                              
3. Place them on a pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. Until golden brown and dark brown spots appear.

No comments: