"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Thursday, January 28, 2010

Garlicky Roasted Green Beans


Green beans are very delicious and even though I love to eat them, I realized that I have never cooked them myself! I was preparing a winter season meal and green beans seem very winter season to me. I used haricot green beans and they still maintained their crispness while taking on a strong garlic flavor. These were served with pecan crusted salmon and pumpkin biscuits and I shared the leftovers with some roasted chicken. It's fair to say these green beans are a wonderful accompaniment to pretty much anything. I added some lemon zest for fun and more for appearance but it actually added a lovely punch and I'd like to add more lemon zest next time, or perhaps orange zest. I used a bag of frozen green beans which I just let sit out for a while, until they are soft enough to absorb oil and garlic.

Garlicky Roasted Green Beans

Ingredients:
1 lb green beans
1 shallot, diced
6 cloves garlic, diced
Olive oil
Zest of one half a lemon
Freshly ground pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the beans on a pan and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle the shallots and garlic on top and toss the beans around to incorporate.
2. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until tender and then mix in the lemon zest and serve.

No comments: