"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ono, Maui Style

So at some point in my life, I am going to live in Maui. It's been decided. I love Maui. I love island life. I love Ono. I'm not sure if we can buy Ono on the main land - I haven't done sufficient research however I imagine that on coastal regions, this delicious tender fish is available. I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Maui over winter break and after, spending most the day in the ocean, I loved preparing a meal for my mom and sister using local and seasonal ingredients. Ono is the Hawaiian name for fish and it is also referred to as Wahoo fish. This tropical fish is highly regarded by many gourmets. I'd never had it before and my sister ordered a butter Ono one night at a restaurant. After one taste, I was hooked and decided to create my own Ono dinner the following evening. In accordance with the easy life on Maui, Ono is very easy to prepare. It doesn't take much time, just a little island love. For my first time making this dish, I prepared it with garlicky sauteed zucchini, and side dish of roasted brussle sprouts and mini yellow potatoes. Here is a pic of the side dish:
Ono, Maui Style
(4 servings...although 3 will finish this)

Ingredients:
2 large fillets of ono
4 thin slices of lemon
Fresh lemon juice - to squeeze over fillets
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 small zucchinis thinly sliced
Dried oregano
Ono seasoning (sea salt, cracked pepper, ginger, garlic, alea salt)
Olive oil

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 30-40 seconds.
2. Place the zucchini slices over the bottom of the pan and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. While zucchini slices are on pan, cut a slice in the Ono fillets, don't cut all the way through, just large enough to put the lemon slices in.
4. Put in the lemon slices in the fillets.
5. Place the fillets in the pan and sprinkle with Ono seasoning, oregano,  and lemon juice.
6. Cover the pan and let the fillets cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip fillets over, and season the other side, cover, and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until the fillets are cooked through. You want them to be white and flaky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the Ono recipe. Ono tasted very good. Zucchini was a little soft. Leaving it in the covered pan probably caused that. Will take the zucchini out of the pan when putting the Ono in next time.