Whenever I go home, my mom prepares some delicious breakfast. Sometimes it's a dutch baby, sometimes french toast, and sometimes it is these DELICIOUS cottage cheese pancakes. These are best with some berry jam, although they taste quite nice with syrup too. They are light, fluffy, moist and perfect. The secret to getting them so thick and fluffy is the beating the egg whites until they are dry and stiff.
Mom's Cottage Cheese Pancakes
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1. Using an electric mixture, beat the egg whites until really stiff.
2. Whisk the eggs yolks in a bowl, then add the cottage cheese, sour cream, flour, sugar and salt.
3. Gently fold in the egg whites using a spatula until well incorporated. This is what makes them fluffy!
4. Over medium heat, heat a little vegetable oil and butter.
5. Add a 1/3 cup of batter to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.