"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Monday, December 21, 2009

Super Vegetable Soup


I made this vegetable soup back in the summer and ever since, my boyfriend has been requesting it. The tricky thing is that when I made it, I just threw together whatever vegetables I had so I had no idea how to recreate it exactly. He remembers it being orange and yellow which lead me to believe there was a lot of yellow squash and carrots. We enjoyed this soup with some homemade beer bread and freshly grated parmesan cheese. I recommend picking up some thick whole wheat bread to truly enjoy this soup. This soup is super because it keeps really well. It tastes great chilled and you can pack it for lunch for the next few days. It's also super because there are so many vegetables in it and it's filling and healthy. My recipe doesn't have any salt so if you prefer to add it in, then go for it! Also, I prefer vegetable soups to be a little chunkier, but you can easily puree to get your desired consistency. I just put the cooked vegetables in the food processor for a couple seconds to keep the chunkiness.

Ingredients:
1 lb yellow squash (about 2 1/2 large squash), cut into 1/2 inch slices
5 bella mushrooms, cut into thirds
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 whole carrots, cut into 1 inch sliced
1 1/2 cup corn kernels
3 large shallots, minced
3 small Thai chilies, chopped
1 large leek, chopped
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin
Pepper

Directions:
1. Combine all the ingredients, except for the water, in a large pot over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the water and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
3. Pour the soup in batches into a food processor and pulse for a few seconds to get a consistent texture.
4. Sprinkle with some grated cheese, dried pepper flakes, or some mint and enjoy!

No comments: