"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Friday, December 11, 2009

Broccoli Cheddar Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust


I came home from work and was really craving the good'ol comfort of the broccoli cheddar combination. I have some frozen pie shells so I was thinking I could easily whip together a quiche. Then I found this recipe on Closet Cooking and when I told my roommate, Celadon, about the brown rice idea she got so excited that I had to make it! While the effort involved at first seemed too much for a week night, it ended up being really easy. I changed the recipe to include more cheddar - yes, I was in that cheesey sort of mood. Also, I used the Trader Joe's brand Brown Rice Medley which is a lovely combination with black barley and daikon radish seeds. Surprisingly, this quiche is suppossedly one of the Taste Tester's favorites. Surprising for two reasons: 1. it is vegetarian and 2. it's not spicy, although he did dress the quiche with Sriracha accordingly. The brown rice crust makes this quiche loads more filling and healthy. I had some for lunch the following day and the Taste Tester polished it off for dinner the following night.

Broccoli Cheddar Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
Adapted from Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup chedder cheese, grated
1 egg, (I used fake eggs for all the eggs)
4 eggs
1 cup soy milk
2 cups broccoli, cut into bite size pieces and blanched
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup chopped white onion
A pinch nutmeg

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Mix the rice, cheese and egg in a bowl. Press the mixture into a pie pan. Bake for 5 minutes.
2. Mix in the eggs, milk, broccoli, cheddar, onion, nutmeg in a bowl. Feel free to sprinkle with salt and pepper for taste. Pour this into the rice crust. Turn the oven down to 375 degrees and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until it is set in the center. Let it cool for a bit before you dive in - enjoy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooh yesss i want this - maxine