Excited about my new Butternut Squash Sauce by Dave's Gourmet, I decided to make a pasta dish that would bring out the flavors of the butternut squash. I wanted something that was healthy and easy to make. The flavors of the mushroom and tomatoes really punctuate the butternut squash and roasted broccoli tastes great as a side!
Penne Pasta with Butternut Squash Sauce, Chicken and Roasted Vegetables
(2-4 servings, I think this recipe should be for 4 servings, but tonight the entire lot was consumed by 2!)
3 cups whole wheat penne pasta
3 chicken tenderloins
1 large tomato cut into chunks
1 lb broccoli florets
6 button mushrooms, scrubbed and cut into chunks
1/3 jar of Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
Olive oil, garlic powder and fresh ground pepper
1.Preheat oven to 420
2. Drizzle olive oil on a pan and lay out the broccoli florets, mushroom chunks and tomato chunks.
3. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and generously sprinkle with garlic powder and ground pepper. Place pan in oven and cook for 25 min, or until the broccoli flours get a spotting of crisp brown and the tomatoes look slightly shriveled and juicy.
4. Bring water to a boil on stove top
5. Cook penne pasta until you have the desired firmness
6. While penne is cooking and the vegetables are roasting, cut the chicken into even pieces and cook over medium high heat on stove top. Be sure to generously sprinkle the chicken with olive oil, garlic powder and ground pepper. Set aside when cooked through.
7. In a small sauce pan, heat up the Butternut Squash sauce over medium low heat, stirring frequently.
8. After draining penne, place in a glass serving bowl and add 2/3 of the heated sauce folding the penne to fully and evenly coat it in sauce.
9. Add in the chicken pieces mixing until evenly dispersed
10. Finally add the mushroom and tomatoes and the remainder of the heated pasta sauce.
Garnish with Parmesan and chili pepper flakes and enjoy with a healthy side of broccoli!