"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Saturday, September 26, 2009

Jalapeno Cornbread


I have always loved warm cornbread with a slowly melting square of butter on top; it reminds me of being a kid for some reason...even though I don't remember eating cornbread all that often. In search of the perfect recipe for a late summer lunch, this one seemed rather promising. From the LiveToEat blog and tweaked slightly I bring to you this cornbread recipe! I definitely plan to make this again but I would like to experiment with more add-ins like chorizo, cheddar cheese, sun dried tomatoes or mushrooms!

Jalapeno Cornbread
(I'd like to say that this serves 5, but my boyfriend and his roommate devoured it....so, it serves 2 1/2)

Ingredients:
3/4 cups cornmeal (I used Indian Head Stone Ground)
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cups soy milk
1 large egg (I used 1/4 cup fake eggs)
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 heaped cup frzoen sweet yellow corn kernels
2 large jalapenos seeded and diced
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne powder
1/4 cup sliced scallion pieces

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. In a bowl mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cayenne powder
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, egg and butter
4. Combine the egg mixture wih the dry ingredients and add in the chopped peppers, corn and scallions
5. Butter a cast iron skillet and pour the batter into the pan, bake for 30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.



Serve warm with butter and enjoy!!

1 comment:

FoodLover said...

That looks amazing! I like that you have many different takes on traditional cornbread. Very creative.