"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Monday, April 30, 2012

Source: My Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant

I was at my friend, Nick's, house when his roommate came home with some leftovers from her new waitressing job at Source. We dove into her Grilled Moo Skewers and they were the best vegetarian mock meat skewers I've ever had! She gave me her 'studying' menu which I took home and studied until I finally made it to the restaurant. Source is a 5 min bike ride from my house, I've been three times, each time with a group ordering different items and it is by far one of my favorite restaurants in the city, if not the Bay Area. It's a vegetarian restaurant that is vegan friendly. I'm an omnivore, but I really appreciate a vegetarian restaurant that celebrates the variety and versatility of vegetables, nuts and seeds. The ambiance is peaceful, communal and comforting  and the restaurant was actually designed with the ancient principals of metaphysics and and energy in mind!  Pictured above is the 'Live Platter' which includes hemp tabouli, marinated mushrooms, their version of a green goddess salad, cesar salad, lettuce tacos and living chips. Their green goddess salad is dino kale, carrot, sesame seeds and a cashew based green goddess dressing. Simply delicious.
Below we have the 'Chili Cluck Pie' which includes house made mozzarella, plum tomato sauce, sriracha sauce, truffle oil and a balsamic glaze. Source also has a brick oven, so all the pizzas and breads have that extra perfect crust. 
Source has daily specials and last time I went they had this 'Wilted Kale Salad' which was DELICIOUS. Similar to their green goddess salad but a balsamic based dressing and topped with half an avocado. You could tell this kale had been massaged and well loved.
'Peking Quack Spring Rolls' served with plum sauce. 
'Spicy Buffalo Bytes' with slaw and vegan ranch dressing
Here we have the 'Dan Dan': mixed veggies and tofu over rice noodles, with a sweet almond, sesame, ginger soy sauce.
Another one of Source's daily specials that includes perfectly stir fried mushrooms, vegetables in a light sauce all served in a sort of baked cracker bowl with a bed of lettuce.
A Source 'Burger' made with beets, celery, carrots, lentils, mushrooms, brown rice, fresh herbs, soy protein, garlic and onion served in a pita with fries.
And now for dessert:
Living Mousse Parfait made with chocolate cashew creme, with caramel, cacao nibs and brownie bites
Live Brownie Bites covered with cacao nibs
Cookie Sandwich
SOURCE - Organic Vegan/Vegetarian International Cuisine
11 Division Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-864-9000

3 comments:

Jenny Bradley said...

Thanks for the amazing review! I love the pictures, they are beautiful!
xoxo, jb (The Pastry Chef!)

Sheila said...

Thanks Jenny!! My friends and I LOVE your desserts! Looking forward to trying many more :)

Jenny Bradley said...

Hopefully I am there next time you come in. :)