"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Nicola's Home and Food in the Italian Alps

After Sarah and I parted ways I didn't have much of a plan. Actually, I didn't have any plan. I knew I wanted to make my way over to Ferrara for a music festival but that wasn't for another couple of days and like all backpackers, I was on a budget. Nicola was so kind to offer me the chance to come and stay with him at his father's home in the Alps of Lunigiana. Nicola's dad had purchased and reonvated a home in a very small village in the Alps. The village had 7 permanent residents. The home was so tranquil and had a sprawling view of the lush green Alps. The photo above is Nicola on the roof - we spent a lot of time reading and just hanging out on the roof. We arrived around lunch time and it was a very nice surprise to have a beautiful home cooked lunch set out for us, especially since I had just been serving people for 7 days a week for 2 months. The home has a small courtyard in the middle with a little table and chairs set, it really feels like your own private villa:
For lunch, Nicola's father and his girlfriend prepared a delicious frittata with cheese and mushrooms picked fresh from the trails behind his home:
They also made us a simple and very delicious and hearty bean and noodle soup:
And of course there was an impressive cheese plate....this is definitely an every day Italian mean feature that I would like to bring home:
Finally, there was the wonderful tea and cookies to end the meal:

No comments: