"The people who give you their food give you their heart" - Cesar Chavez


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pumpkin Biscuits

I love biscuits. I didn't realize this love until I had ham biscuits at my boyfriend's home. Then I had the renowned biscuits of bliss from Clinton Street Baking Company. So my love for biscuits has been proven. I'm ready to try any sort of biscuit and put anything on it, which is what sort of happened with these. I had a can of canned pumpkin and I wanted to use it up while it's still chilly weather. I ended up serving these biscuits with pecan crusted salmon and green beans. Later I shared them as a late night snack with Swiss cheese, mustard and roasted chicken, yum yum YUM! These biscuits are easy and fun to make and slightly addictive. For the first time I used a Paula Deen recipe from the Food Network and made my own little changes. Unfortunately due to my camera and lack of natural lighting when I made these, they look like overly orange cheese puffs. My apologies, pictures are hit or miss.

Pumpkin Biscuits
Adapted from Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Biscuits

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 heaping tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/4 cup softened butter

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add in the pumpkin puree and butter and mix to make the dough soft (you may need to add more flour if it's too moist or 1 tablespoon of milk if it's not moist enough).
3. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and toss lightly until the outside of the dough looks smooth. Roll the dough until it is 1/2 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter or a mason jar. Place the biscuits on a creased pan and lightly brush with melted butter.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops turn a light golden brown. Enjoy warm!

No comments: